DUI Attorney in Blacksburg
Effective Representation for Drunk Driving Charges in Virginia
Driving under the influence, or DUI, is one of the most common criminal charges, but that doesn’t make it any less serious. A drunk driving conviction comes with far-reaching consequences ranging from jail time and fines to a loss of your license and maybe even your livelihood. If you have been charged with drunk driving in Virginia, you need to contact an experienced DUI defense attorney as soon as possible to fight your charges and protect your rights.
As a Blacksburg DUI attorney here at McConnell Law Firm PLLC, I am here to provide the guidance you need to navigate the legal system and work towards the best possible outcome. I invite you to contact my firm today to get started with a free initial consultation.
Contact the firm today to speak directly with attorney Brad McConnell when you call (540) 413-0723.
When you call my firm, you will not speak to a staff member or an associate attorney. You will speak directly with me, Brad McConnell.
Put a Knowledgeable DUI Lawyer on Your Side
Virginia DUI / DWI Laws & Penalties
Here in Virginia, the terms DUI (driving under the influence of alcohol) and DWI (driving with a blood alcohol content, or BAC, of .08 or higher) are used interchangeably because the laws outlined in VA Code 18.2-266 are applied in the same way.
Whether you’re facing a first or subsequent offense, the penalties for DUI in Virginia are serious. These penalties include:
First Offense DUI - Class 1 misdemeanor
- Minimum penalties: Up to 12 months of driver’s license suspension, ASAP (Alcohol Safety & Awareness Program) at your expense, and between at least 5 and 10 days in jail depending on case facts
- Maximum penalties: Up to one year in jail, a fine of $250 to $2,500, an indefinite driver’s license suspension, completion of ASAP at your expense, ignition interlock device for your vehicle, and 6 points on your VA driver’s license
Second Offense DUI - Class 1 misdemeanor
- Minimum penalties: 36-month driver’s license suspension (ineligible for a restricted license for at least 4 months), mandatory 10 days in jail (up to 30 days depending on case facts), mandatory ignition interlock device for your vehicle upon restoration of license, and a fine of at least $500
- Maximum penalties: 36-month driver’s license suspension (ineligible for a restricted license for at least 12 months), mandatory 20 days in jail (up to 40 days depending on case facts), mandatory ignition interlock device for your vehicle upon restoration of license, and a fine of at least $500
Third Offense DUI - Class 6 felony
- Minimum penalties: 36-month driver’s license suspension, mandatory 90 days in jail (up to 110 days depending on case facts), mandatory ignition interlock device for your vehicle upon restoration of license, a fine of at least $1,000, and your vehicle will be subject to seizure and forfeiture
- Maximum penalties: 36-month or indefinite driver’s license suspension, mandatory 6 months in jail (up to 6 months plus 20 days depending on case facts), mandatory ignition interlock device for your vehicle if your license is ever restored, a fine of at least $1,000, and your vehicle will be subject to seizure and forfeiture
Request a Case Review Today
As a Blacksburg DUI lawyer with more than 15 years of experience handling a variety of criminal cases, I am well prepared to defend you. I am familiar with the most effective defenses in these types of cases and have the resources to properly investigate them from all angles. If you were unlawfully arrested or are being accused based on faulty or improperly obtained evidence, I will uncover the facts and bring them to light.
Remember that you are innocent until proven guilty; just because you have been charged with DUI does not mean there is no hope for you. But you do need to take your charges seriously and get in touch with a lawyer as soon as possible. With the right advocate on your side, you may be able to save your license, reduce your charges, or even have them dismissed entirely.
Don’t wait to get started on your defense. Contact Attorney Brad McConnell today to discuss your DUI case.
Reach Out To Begin Your Case Contact Us Today
Free Initial Consultation
Speak Directly With Your Attorney
Significant Jury Trial Experience
Over 15 Years of Experience